Monday, August 11, 2014

Maiden Voyage


Well, the school-year is fast-approaching and I find myself waking up at night and jotting down new ideas. I made sure to note in my lesson-planner when to order our Painted Lady caterpillars, when to send the note home about help with the Kindergarten Performance, and began planning our first week. My "to-do" lists are taking over every room in our house. 

 August is an interesting time for a teacher. I feel both excitement and overwhelming dread at the thought of leaving my boys. I truly love being home with them, but find teaching kindergarten so fufilling. I constantly tell my husband (and he has to remind me on the bad days) that I cannot imagine a job where I had to sit at a desk. My job is different every single day. I get to become a part of the lives of children and their amazing families. Teaching is a roller coaster. I love my students so very much and always want the best for them. I want them to succeed, yet to struggle just enough to make learning valuable. When their world is crumbling, it becomes my job to help them find ways to be resilient. As I tell parents each year, "I cannot possibly teach your child everything he/she needs to know by the end of the year. What I CAN do is teach your child to be resilient, to be a critical-thinking problem-solver so that when kindergarten is over, he/she has the confidence to approach new tasks and ask for help when necessary."

I am excited to begin sharing my thoughts on teaching, parenting, science in education, etc. I, like most teachers, feel as though I have a great deal to contribute to these topics. I know that this is not because I am an especially amazing teacher, but rather because I spend each day with young children. When you want to know what works, and what doesn't, present it to a group of five-year-old children and you'll quickly discover their infinite wisdom. 

I'll try to keep my posts brief and packed with helpful information and food for thought. 

To get us started, I'm providing links to a few of my favorite teacher websites/inspirations.

Cheers!
Beth 

For excellent prinatbles, teacher organizers, etc. :

Kindergarten Works

My go-to spot for support from fellow teachers:
Miss Bindergarten

For the latest research, ideas, and to feel hopeful about the future of education:

Edutopia

For videos on nearly every educational topic. Like YouTube, but not blocked in schools. :
Teacher Tube

No comments:

Post a Comment